I made some wagyu oxtail stew in a slow cooker for dinner last night. It was so easy to cook, but the clinch was the long time taken to stew the meat to that perfect, drop off from the bone state. It took 7hrs on the slow cooker!
The recipe is from a friend’s mom, hence the credit.
- Wagyu oxtail for 3 person
- 3 carrots, sliced and diced into about 3cm cubes
- 4 purple potatoes (any waxy kind and don’t use Russell potatoes), sliced and diced into about 3cm cubes
- Mini portobello mushroom (or brown swiss mushroom)
- 2 onions, sliced (my own addition)
- 300gm flank steak (my own addition)
- Dark soya sauce (老抽, thick sauce for chicken rice)
- 1.5l of hot water
- Seared the oxtail and flank steak till surface is brown with some char marks.
- Satueed the onions till soft. I will skip this step next time, coz it makes the soup richer and I am not that fond of rich food right now…
- Put the carrot and potato cubes into the slow cooker. Add in the water and turn on high heat.
- Add in meat. Leave to simmer for at least 4hrs.
- 30mins before eating, season with dark soya sauce. Test taste.
- Add in the mushroom slices.