I love making muffins! They are easier and faster to bake, and the most important of all, less things to wash up! =D I meant to make this muffin for Christmas period, but… my arse weighed like a ton =p and better late than never! So I baked 2 batches for hb’s colleagues. Hope they liked it!
The recipe is from here and I merely make slight modifications to it. The cranberries made the muffins taste tangy and the oat added slight crunch to it. Alex loves the muffins minus the cranberries and he took 1/2 muffin each time.
Cranberry Oatmeal Muffin
1 heaping cup large flake, rolled oats (not instant or quick)
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup white flour
1/2 cup sugar (plus 1 to 2 tsp sugar – to taste)
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup fresh milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 heaping cup of frozen cranberries
- Mix together all dry ingredients into mixing bowl A.
- Place cleaned cranberries in a bowl of mixing bowl B and add 2 heaping tablespoons of the dry mixture from step 1 and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Mix everything well till the cranberries are well coated.
- Mix oil and milk in mixing bowl C.
- Add egg to oil and milk and blend well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and blend well.
- Add cranberries (with the leftover dry mixture) to wet ingredients and blend only enough to incorporate cranberries. (Avoid over mixing)
- Preheat oven to 180ºc.
- Fill muffin cups to 3/4 of the cup.
- Bake muffins 17 to 20 minutes – test muffins for doneness with a toothpick or skewer.