I made this lentil dinner for Alex a while back with the thought of creating a stash of baby food for him. I freezed them and whipped it out to serve him whenever I have no time. On his first taste, Alex loved the food so much that he finished 10oz of it in record time. 😀 It made my day coz he was either having a food strike or took more than an hour to finish each meal. Lately he’s been at this again, so maybe it’s time to churn out this food again.
(good enough for about 10 meals)
- brown lentils (soaked for at least 6hrs), 1.5 cup
- short grain rice, 1.5 cup
- carrot, 2 medium
- broccoli, 1 stalk
- onion, 1 big
- minced beef, 120 gm
- stock, 6oz
- Water enough to cover the ingredients
How to prepare
- Cut up the vegetables in small chunks.
- Cook the lentils, rice and carrot for about 20mins, then add in the rest of the ingredients, and cook till the broccoli is soft (another 10 mins).
- Let the food cool down, and use a hand-held blender to blend till the desired texture is achieved. I prefer chunky texture.
I use 60z baby food jars. Scoop the food into the jar and put the lid back on. Ensure the bottle is cool before putting into the freezer.
Eco-tip: Never store any hot food into the fridge directly, as the heat will cause the temperature to rise and more energy (and your $) is required to cool down again.
If you try this recipe, will love to hear from you! 🙂